David Bowie's Eyes

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Time Warp

The Steelers' trip to Super Bowl 40 comes ten years after their appearance in Super Bowl 30 (see how that works?) in 1996. I just saw clips on TV of Neil O'Donnell throwing candy-armed interceptions in a loss to the hated Cowboys. In January 1996 I was less than a year out of college, living with my parents and working on my uncle's dairy farm. The weekend of the Super Bowl I was in Pittsburgh visiting friends and trying desparately (and failing) to get a woman to like me. I savor the memory of being in the city that weekend, though: at the South Side Diner, eating pancakes served by a woman with the Steelers logo painted on her fingernails; attending a show by Pittsburgh favorites The Clarks that featured a stunning version of the Stones' "Paint It, Black." The lead singer wore a Chad Brown (or was it Greg Lloyd?) jersey, and the crowd erupted spontaneously and repeatedly in chants of "Here we go Steelers, here we go." It's not often that I feel caught up in something like that, but I did that night.

Here we go, Steelers.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My wish for this day is that Cowher may finally jut the jaw of victory. May the team that includes Jerome Bettis, Ben Roethlisberger and a man named Hines play honorably and play well. May they someday have the dual pleasure of skewering pancakes in a clean, well-lighted place while recalling fondly those days of glory. May my Steeler-fan friends across the nation have similar moments in the sun.

    From seven time zones away, in the throes of sleep, I shall dream these positive dreams.

    Enjoy the new and expensive Doritos commercials, the diving fingertip catches, the pizza delivery people and the expensive clean-burning fossil fuels.

    Go Steelers!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home